It’s July and it’s hot in Madrid. Let’s face it, nothing sounds better during the summer months than a nice icy cold treat. Since moving to Madrid, I’ve had one (or more!) almost every day. Here are a few of my picks for beating the heat:
- Acquolina: Located in the Plaza del Dos de Mayo in Malasaña, this small shop serves ice cream, granizados (fruity iced beverages) and coffees. Free wifi is an added bonus (just ask at the counter for the password) plus you can take your ice cream out and about for a stroll around the plaza.
- — Plaza del Dos de Mayo (c/ Velarde, 15), Malasaña (tel: 91 523 3036) / Metro: Tribunal or San Bernardo
- Labonata: The super-creamy ice cream at this Chueca shop is perfect for a hot day in the Madrid sun. Get it to go or sit down and watch the world go by from their tables within the plaza. In addition to ice cream they have smoothies, batidos (similar to a smoothie, but with a milk base) and granizados.
- — Plaza de Chueca 8, Chueca (tel: 91 523 7029) / Metro: Chueca
- Horchateria Alboraya: Horchateria Alboraya was recommended by my classmate’s host family. Not only do they serve ice creams, batidos and granizados, but they specialize in horchatas which are creamy, nutty beverages made with chufas (tigernuts).
- — Calle Alcalá, 125 (tel: 91 576 58 17) / Metro: Príncipe de Vergara
- Capriccio Divino: Just over two weeks old, this gelateria on Calle de Hortaleza serves traditional Italian gelato. The staff are happy to offer you a sample or two of their flavours! Located in between Chueca and Malasana, it’s a great stop when strolling through the nearby boutiques and zapaterias!
- — Calle de Hortaleza / Metro: Chueca or Tribunal
Another option is the dessert station on the second floor of Mercado San Anton. It’s a good option if you want a snack or drink before your dessert! Check out more info on the Mercado from Jamie’s earlier post.
Whatever spot you choose, all these treats are a great way to cool off, relax and make the most of the sunny Madrid weather!
Acquolina: Plaza del Dos de Mayo (c/ Velarde, 15), Malasaña (tel: 91 523 3036) / Metro: Tribunal or San Bernardo
Labonata: Plaza de Chueca 8, Chueca (tel: 91 523 7029) / Metro: Chueca
Horchateria Alboraya: Calle Alcalá, 125 (tel: 91 576 58 17) / Metro: Príncipe de Vergara
Capriccio Divino: Calle Hortaleza / Metro: Chueca or Tribunal