As we all know, Madrid is one of, if not the best city in the world for eating and drinking until your heart’s content. If you think this is purely down to the plethora of tapas bars and typical Spanish restaurants, you are mistaken. The concept of food trucks and mobile food carts has hopped across the pond from the United States and is fast seeping into this magnificent city!
The History of Food Trucks
The concept of the food truck was born in the United States in the mid-19th Century. A food vendor decided to cut windows out of a wagon, park it on the street outside a newspaper shop and sell sandwiches and coffee to journalists. They were also widely used during both World Wars to feed the soldiers. This concept has since spread across the globe and food trucks have become places from where respectable chefs can launch their careers. It is now even possible to track your favorite food trucks via social media! In the US, food truck rallies are also growing in popularity – they provide a great way of bringing cultures together and allow you to discover your favorite cuisine!
So, these food trucks provide a fast, easy and reasonably priced alternative to other casual restaurants. However, compared to other countries like England and Belgium, it has been hard for the concept of a food truck to break into Spain. Why, if there are so many restaurants and tapas bars selling affordable small eats, would you take the risk of going to a food truck where you have to eat on the street standing up?
Where can you find Food Trucks in Madrid?
It’s true that the idea hasn’t spread across Spain as quickly as other countries but in Madrid you won’t have any trouble finding a food truck! To whet your appetite, here are a few food trucks that you can find in Madrid:
1. Salchichen – German street food that brings authentic sausages and burgers to the streets of Madrid. Here you are guaranteed good quality, traditional German food.
2. MadrEAT – this event aims to bring top quality street food to Madrid on a monthly basis. MadrEAT is a celebration of “exceptional gastronomy” and the variety of food trucks has to be seen to be believed – you’ll find Japanese food, Peruvian food and Greek food just to name a few! Do not miss out! The upcoming dates are as follows: September – 23, 24 and 25. November – 4, 5 and 6. October – 14, 15 and 16 at Plaza Pablo Ruiz Picasso, Azca.
3. Peggy Sue’s – an American style food truck where you can enjoy typical hot dogs, burgers and fries.
And you’ll find many more food trucks in these popular places:
4. Matadero Madrid – this is a very trendy, modern place in Madrid and you’ll be sure to find food trucks from all over the world.
5. Stock! Feria Outlet Madrid – escape from the hustling, bustling centre of Madrid and enjoy a day out with your family. In and amongst all the shopping and live music, explore the wide variety of food trucks on offer. Make sure you’re there on 14, 15, 16 October.